Fanny Thomson of Little River.
Student Activity #3
Read the document about the Thomson family p.20 in From There to Here by Margaret Campbell.
- Which ramily members came first? When? From where? What kind of work did Charlie do?
- Describe how the family lived in the colony for the first few years.
- How important was the arrival of mail to the family? Why?
- From Fanny's perspective, how did she semm to find life in the colony? Would you have like to live then? Explain your answer.
- Why did the family have lodgers?
- Make a list of some of the major events of her time and how they affected life for the settlers.
- What problems did the farmers encounter frequently at the time?
- What two things did Charlie and Fanny do which imporved their living conditions?
- This extract provides a wealth of information about the area of Little River. Are there any highlights for you? What do you think of Fanny's attitude to life?
- This was a primary source - did this fact enhance the story for you? Discuss.