Mr. William Ison, one of the area's first residents, was born at Cambridge, England in 1832. William was the eldest of 15 children. He left England on 18/ 10/ 1855 aged 22 years and arrived at Portland, Victoria in 1855.
Student activity #4
Read the document about the Ison family p.32 in From There to Here.
- Taking into account your previously learned knowledge and the material in the document, why do you think Ison came to Australia? Provide evidence from the document to support your view.
- How successful do you think he was in his new life. Explain.
- Explain his relationship with the Chirnsides. What does this relationship tell you about him, and about the Chirnsides?
- What contribution did Ison make to the community?
- Is this document a primary or secondary source/respresentation of the past?
- What are the potentential problems of using this source/representation of the past? (Consider when it was written and who wrote it).
- What are the benefits of using this source/representation of the past?