Article Item Type Metadata
Doherty’s property was located on the south side of Doherty’s Road, Truganina.
John Doherty arrived in Victoria in 1843 and was one of a family of 13. He selected land and settled in the Truganina District in the 1850s and by the 1890s was farming about 200 acres, included land leased from Clarke.
When the first Wyndham Road District was proclaimed in October 1862, William Doherty, one of John’s brothers, was one of seven elected members, along with his neighbours, William Leake, Robert Chirnside and Elliot Armstrong.
William and George Doherty purchased several blocks of land around Truganina in the late 1850s and early 1860s and the Doherty brothers eventually purchased more land privately including the block containing Leake’s cellars.
The property was sold to the Moroney family, then to Didier and then to Colin Morton in about 1969. During the bush fires in that year, the farm and homestead buildings were burnt out and only the bluestone walls remain.
Truganina,” Wyndham History, accessed September 26, 2022, http://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1156.