Wyndham History
Menu

Station Street,
Werribee.

Citation

“Station Street,
Werribee.,” Wyndham History, accessed May 19, 2019, http://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1400.
http://web02.wyndham.vic.gov.au:80/hipres/images/local_history/58.jpg
Description

A view of Station Street, Werribee, taken from the footbridge over the railway lines. Photograph shows shops on both sides of the street and more shops on the corner of Duncans Road and Watton Street, Werribee. 

Right hand side of photograph: Werribee Farmers (which became the site of Comben's Grocery Store). Werribee Farmers was the first building on this site.

The next building was a tailor's shop commonly known as "Eddy the Tailor" and was owned by Sam Eddy. This building was later converted to a fruit and sweet shop operated by Mrs. Bill Stewart. It was then shifted to the rear of the block and a new premises built by Vince Montalto, who in partnership with Mrs. Hassett operated it as a milk bar/green grocers. This was later closed and converted to a chemist run by pharmacist Peter Ross and his wife who was also a pharmacist.

The next building was the original Werribee Banner office that was built in 1903 by Henry Barnes. The Werribee Banner was started in 1902 in premises in Cherry Street that is now used as a residence by Mabel McKinnon. Prior to being used as the Werribee Banner office, the premises was used as a butcher's shop by a Mr. Missen and later on as a cafe.

In the background is Edwards grocer shop, later O'Toole's, that has now been demolished to be replaced by Ballan House.

Next on the right hand side of the photograph is Maguires men's hairdressers, then Callan's ham and beef shop, then a drapery, then Douglas' cafe which became Muracca's milk bar. Then the National Bank which became Pettit's paint shop. Next is Sampson's Farrier Shop now Callanan's vacant land.

Source

Werribee and District Historical Society

Description

A view of Station Street, Werribee, taken from the footbridge over the railway lines. Photograph shows shops on both sides of the street and more shops on the corner of Duncans Road and Watton Street, Werribee. 

Right hand side of photograph: Werribee Farmers (which became the site of Comben's Grocery Store). Werribee Farmers was the first building on this site.

The next building was a tailor's shop commonly known as "Eddy the Tailor" and was owned by Sam Eddy. This building was later converted to a fruit and sweet shop operated by Mrs. Bill Stewart. It was then shifted to the rear of the block and a new premises built by Vince Montalto, who in partnership with Mrs. Hassett operated it as a milk bar/green grocers. This was later closed and converted to a chemist run by pharmacist Peter Ross and his wife who was also a pharmacist.

The next building was the original Werribee Banner office that was built in 1903 by Henry Barnes. The Werribee Banner was started in 1902 in premises in Cherry Street that is now used as a residence by Mabel McKinnon. Prior to being used as the Werribee Banner office, the premises was used as a butcher's shop by a Mr. Missen and later on as a cafe.

In the background is Edwards grocer shop, later O'Toole's, that has now been demolished to be replaced by Ballan House.

Next on the right hand side of the photograph is Maguires men's hairdressers, then Callan's ham and beef shop, then a drapery, then Douglas' cafe which became Muracca's milk bar. Then the National Bank which became Pettit's paint shop. Next is Sampson's Farrier Shop now Callanan's vacant land.

Title

Station Street,
Werribee.

Subject

Shops - Werribee (Vic.), Station Street, Werribee (Vic.),

Source

Werribee and District Historical Society

Publisher

Wyndham City Libraries

Date

ca.1917

Rights

Not for Loan.

Not to be reproduced without permission from the Werribee and District Historical Society.

Publication quality prints can be purchased from the Werribee and District Historical Society.

Format

image

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Identifier

9774 - Picture Victoria
58

Comments

Comments

Ask a question