Cobbledicks Ford Road,
Tarneit,” Wyndham History, accessed February 21, 2019, http://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/409.
Cobbledicks Ford crossing the Werribee River at Tarneit, paved in cut bluestone pavers.Source
CIty of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997
Cobbledicks Ford crossing the Werribee River at Tarneit, paved in cut bluestone pavers.Title
Cobbledicks Ford and Reserve,
Cobbledicks Ford Road,
Fords - Tarneit (Vic.), Cobbledick, Samuel, Cobbledicks Ford, Tarneit (Vic.), Cobbledicks Reserve, Johnson, Charles H. , Missen, William, Jr., Murray, Alfred, Murray, Walter, Crinnigan, Thomas, Ayr, William,
Wyndham City LibrariesSource
CIty of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997Publisher
Context Pty LtdDate
Dr Carlotta KellawayFormat
Cobbledicks Ford crosses the Werribee River at Tarneit. The ford is paved in cut bluestone pavers. Adjacent to the ford is Cobbledicks Reserve, a large open space and recreation area of about 61 acres. This 61 acre reserve, named after Samuel Cobbledick, an early district farmer, was gazetted in 1872 as a Permanent Reserve for Watering Purposes and Public Recreation. It is located on the east side of the Werribee River, west side of Dukelow Road in Section XXVIII, Parish of Tarneit. Water reserves were essential for travelling stock.
Cobbledick’s bluestone farmhouse (now a ruin) was built in the 1860s on the opposite side of the river and was connected to the other bank by a ford, known as Cobbledicks Ford. A 1935 auction notice describes Cobbledicks dwelling as ‘Blue Stone House, 4 rooms; large milking shed and necessary outbuildings’ on ‘rich river flats suitable for dairying and mixed farming’.
The first recorded incidence of foot and mouth disease in Australia was in 1872 at Cobbledick’s Farm in Victoria.
From the turn of the century until at least the 1930s, part of the river flats in Cobbledick’s Reserve, managed by the Shire of Werribee, was let to local farmers occupying nearby properties. Charles H. Johnson of Mt. Cottrell was there in 1904-5 and in 1910-11 still occupied 47 acres of the reserve. William Missen Jr., who had a homestead elsewhere, occupied 47 acres in 1913-14. From 1914-16, Alfred and Walter Murray occupied the 47 acres as well as 612 acres of district land and a dwelling in nearby XXVII C and XXVII A. Later in the 1920s, Thomas Crinnigan who was living in a house located on the river flat upstream from Cobbledicks Ford Reserve occupied the 47 acres in Cobbledicks Reserve. William Ayr later occupied the former Crinnigan house and 61 acres in Cobbledicks Reserve.
The history of the ford itself has not been researched.