Wyndham History

Missen House (site),
Dohertys Road,
Truganina

Item

Placeholder image - place building purple.png

Dublin Core

Type

Title

Missen House (site),
Dohertys Road,
Truganina

Description

A small bluestone building constructed of bluestone blocks.

Contributor

Date

1997

Publisher

Context Pty Ltd

Source

City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Coverage

Format

text

Language

eng

Article Item Type Metadata

Text

The building is constructed of small bluestone blocks (15-20 cm high and 30-35 cm long), randomly coursed and with a mud/lime mortar. The house comprised 4 rooms, possibly with timber skillions to the rear. A large central chimney remains intact. Other features of interest include single slab bluestone sills and Victorian plantings near the building, including cacti, peppercorns and cypresses. Drystone walls enclose paddocks to the north and east across the creek.

Andrew Ward’s ‘Werribee Heritage Study, 1990’ describes the history of this property located on Section 22, Lot C, Parish of Tarneit. William Missen leased the property from 1900, purchasing in 1901 and building a homestead in 1905.

William Missen and his wife had seven children, and three of the boys remained on the farm. The subsequent owner after the Missen family was Patrick Killen, and after his death the property was leased to the Pattersons who milked cows here until c1939. After the war it was owned by the Reid family until it burnt out in the 1969 fires, leaving only stone walls intact.

Citation

Wyndham City Libraries, “Missen House (site),
Dohertys Road,
Truganina,” Wyndham History, accessed February 6, 2023, http://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/416.

Comments

Social Bookmarking