Wyndham History

Townsing House (site),
1030 Dohertys Road,
Truganina

Item

Placeholder image - place building green.png

Dublin Core

Type

Title

Townsing House (site),
1030 Dohertys Road,
Truganina

Description

Farm site with only two timber sheds remaining.

Contributor

Date

1997

Publisher

Context Pty Ltd

Source

City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Coverage

Format

text

Language

eng

Article Item Type Metadata

Text

There once was an earlier house on this site which was destroyed by fire. Two timber sheds in poor condition remain. There is also a quarry on this farm (see Skeleton Creek quarries).

In 1903 Henry George Townsing, farmer, became the owner of a 320 acres Tarneit property (Crown Allotment XXIIB and D, Parish of Tarneit), described as “paddock” in the North Riding rate records.  A homestead was recorded on the property for the first time the following year.

Townsing leased his Tarneit property in 1910-11 to George McWhinney, farmer, and two years later sold the 320 acres and dwelling to James Robinson. By this time Townsing was farming at Diggers Rest.  James P. Robinson, farmer, was the owner and occupier of the former Townsing property in the middle 1930s.

Citation

Wyndham City Libraries, “Townsing House (site),
1030 Dohertys Road,
Truganina,” Wyndham History, accessed February 6, 2023, http://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/417.

Comments

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation