Looking from the base of the Werribee Gorge this apprears to be a volcano but in reality is a photo taken from the bottom of the Gorge - just an illusion. The ridges show soil erosion as a result of flooding.
This rock formation is the floor of the Werribee River. It has been dated back 450 million years. The steel plates shown across the top of this rock formation were used for irrigation purposes in the township of Bacchus Marsh. The plates were used to raise the water level, and help control water levels.
This photo depicts the Cobbledicks Ford crossing of the Werribee River. The name Cobbledicks Ford comes from the Cobbledicks Family who were tenant farmers for the Staughton Family who owned the Eynesbury Homestead.
This crossing built from local bluestone was laid down in 1852, the same time that the crossing below the Chirnside Estate (now Werribee Park) was also installed. The crossing at Werribee Park is still totally intact. The crossing at Cobbledicks Ford has been damaged by trucks and other road traffic.
The remains of the Cobbledicks family home located at the top of the hill are still there for all to see.
This weir is used for the control of irrigation to the Werribee agricultural area, and is also used as a major control in times of flood. When the water level raises to one metre in the Lederderg Gorge water is released from the Melton Reservoir to control flooding in the lower reaches of the Werribee River.