Diggers Road Soldiers' Memorial Hall,
Article Item Type Metadata
A large timber hall which forms part of the community infrastructure of the irrigation settlement landscape. The Hall is rectangular in plan, with an iron roof. Several small buildings are associated with the Hall, including playground, iron clad shed, and a cement block toilet block. The Hall and shed are painted cream with turquoise doors and architraves. The Hall is located opposite the intersection between Diggers Road and Whites Road.
The Diggers’ Road Memorial Hall was officially opened on 25 April 1925 by G. T. Chirnside, former owner of the Werribee Park Estate. Chirnside advised the Werribee South settlers to turn to market gardening, which during the 1920s and 1930s became an important district industry.
By 1925, Werribee South had become a prosperous farming area, and according to one account “now possessed hundreds of settlers, many of them returned soldiers, growing fruit, lucerne and vegetables and milking cows”.
Soldier settlement became important in the area after the First World War. The 1917 Discharged Soldiers Settlement Act made special provision for the re-settlement of returned soldiers, and was administered as part of the government’s closer settlement program.
The Hall was used as a school (No. 4312) between 1927 and 1937. A Krupp 125mm Howitzer gun captured during the First World War was once located outside the Hall. It was found in pieces and returned to the RSL and then stored at the Council depot.
Werribee South,” Wyndham History, accessed September 21, 2021, https://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1149.