Wyndham History

Cobbledick House (ruin),
Cobbledicks Ford Road,
Wyndham Vale.

Item

Placeholder image - place building green.png

Dublin Core

Type

Title

Cobbledick House (ruin),
Cobbledicks Ford Road,
Wyndham Vale.

Description

Ruin of a house located on land originally occupied and acquired from the Crown by Simon Staughton.

Contributor

Date

1997

Publisher

Context Pty Ltd

Source

City of Wyndham Heritage Study 1997

Coverage

Format

text

Language

eng

Article Item Type Metadata

Text

The ruin of a house located on land originally occupied and acquired from the Crown by Simon Staughton (and later his son Samuel).  Samuel Cobbledick leased one square mile from Staughton (Section 20A) from 1868, and extended his farm to 1000 acres by 1879.  The Cobbledick family continued to lease the property until 1899.

The bluestone house remains in a ruined form with a nearby well.  It has been a well-built and detailed building with quoins and a slate roof.  Cobbledick’s ford across the Werribee River is nearby.

According to the Werribee Growth Area Heritage Report by Andrew Ward, this farm was leased by Samuel Cobbledick in 1868 from Samuel Staughton.  In 1872 Cobbledick’s farm was the first place recorded for an outbreak of foot and mouth disease in Australia.  The Cobbledick’s continued to lease the land until 1899, when it was reabsorbed into the property farmed by Samuel Staughton.

A 1935 auction notice describes Cobbledick’s dwelling as “Bluestone house, 4 rooms; large milking shed and necessary outbuildings” on “rich river flats suitable for dairying and mixed farming”.

Citation

Wyndham City Libraries, “Cobbledick House (ruin),
Cobbledicks Ford Road,
Wyndham Vale.,” Wyndham History, accessed June 13, 2021, https://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1152.

Comments

Social Bookmarking