Wyndham History

Leslie Raymond Harvey (1892-1958)


Placeholder image - Veteran.png

Dublin Core



Leslie Raymond Harvey (1892-1958)





Wyndham City Libraries





World War One Veterans Item Type Metadata


Leslie Raymond Harvey

Birth Date

Service Number


Enlistment Date

Next of Kin

Thomas Harvey,
22 Wilderton Road,
Stamford Hill, London, England.

Address at time of Enlistment

Little River, Victoria.


Marital Status


Death Date

Place of Burial

London, England.

Biographical Text

No. 2312 Private Leslie Raymond Harvey
[a.k.a. Raymond Leslie Arnold Harvey]
[a.k.a. Raymond Keslie Harvey]
On his A.I.F. attestation papers, Leslie Raymond Harvey stated that he had been born in London, England to Thomas Harvey (no mother named) in March 1892.

The family appear in the 1901 Census of England as:
  • Father – Thomas Harvey
  • Mother – Lizzie Harvey
  • Son – Thomas H. Harvey
  • Daughter – Edith M Harvey
  • Son – Raymond L. Harvey
  • Mother–in-law – Elizabeth Brown.
The family also appear in the 1911 Census of England, but Leslie’s Christian names are again in a different order. The census records –
  • Father – Thomas Harvey, Wholesale Hosiery Salesman, born in Penzance, Cornwall in 1857
  • Mother – Lizzie Harvey (nee Brown), married, born in Crayford, Kent in 1864
  • Son – Raymond Leslie Arnold Harvey, Export Clerk, born in Stoke Newington, London in 1892
The family's address in the 1901 and 1911 census (Newlyn, 22 Wilderton Rd, Stamford Hill, London) is the same address nominated for his next of kin.

During the war, his mother said in a letter, that he was her youngest son.

Prior to enlisting in the A.I.F., Leslie nominated that he had previous military experience. This included –
1. Three years with the A.S.G. Territorials, and
2. Four years with the Kings Royal Rifle Volunteers.
He also stated that he had been discharged, while in England.

There is a possible shipping record of Leslie’s arrival in Australia.   A Mr Leslie Harvey, Clerk, (passenger No. 120) travelled from London to Melbourne per MILTIADES. The ship sailed on 24 April 1913.

War Service
Leslie Harvey enlisted in the A.I.F. at Melbourne on 16 September 1915, and was sent to the 21st Depot Battalion at Warrnambool for training.  From there, he was appointed to the 15th Reinforcements of the 14th Battalion at the Broadmeadows Camp on 13 January 1916.  Several days later, he was promoted to Corporal with the Headquarters of the 3rd Reinforcements Battalion, and four months later (on 1 May 1916) he was promoted to Sergeant.

Still at Broadmeadows, on 27 May 1916 Sergeant Leslie Harvey was appointed to the 3rd Reinforcements for the 58th Brigade.
There is no reason given, but on 2 June 1916, Leslie reverted to the rank of Acting Corporal with the H.S.P.D.
On 10 July 1916 Leslie was appointed to the 4th Reinforcements for the 58th Battalion

Around this time, his mother wrote to him as "Corporal Leslie Harvey, 1 Section, 9th Platoon, C Company, Military Camp, Broadmeadows, Victoria", but didn’t receive a reply.  On 26 July 1916, Leslie’s mother this time wrote to the Australian Army, asking for any details about her son.  She knew that he had enlisted, but not heard from him for over 4 months. All she knew, was that before his enlistment, Leslie had been working for Mr Dave Davis and Mr Watson, on their farms at Little River, in Victoria.

The Army replied to her on 14 September 1916, and gave his current postal address as:
No 2313 Private L.R. Harvey.
4th Reinforcements, 58th Battalion.
C/O A.I.F. Headquarters,
130 Horseferry Road,
Westminster, London, S.W.
After reverting back to the rank of Private, Leslie Raymond Harvey, No.2312, embarked from Melbourne on 01 August 1916 per H.M.A.T. Orsova A67, with the 57th Infantry Battalion, 4th Reinforcements.  They disembarked at Plymouth in England on 14 September 1916, and went to the 15th Training Battalion at Codford.

On 13 November 1916, Leslie Harvey was subject to a District Court Marshall held at Codford in England. He was charged with an act to the prejudice of good order and military discipline, in that he at A.I.F. Headquarters, London, on 23 September 1916, was in possession of a document purporting to be a genuine pass, while knowing that it was not genuine. His sentence was 30 days detention. (Served between 23 October 1916 and 12 November 1916)

At the completion of his sentence, Private Leslie Harvey embarked from Folkstone per S.S. Princess Victoria, for France, on 5 December 1916.  He marched in to No.5 A.D.D.D. at Etaples, France on the following day.

Between the 8 and 21 December 1916, Leslie Harvey worked as an Acting Sergeant with the E.D.P. at the Etaples base, and then reverted back to Private, before marching out to the 57th Battalion, in the field at Montaubam and Ribemont,( in the Somme region of France.)

On 21 January 1917, Private Harvey was admitted to 7 Australian Field Ambulance, suffering from scabies.  He was then moved to the 39 General Hospital at Havre for treatment until 17 March 1917, before re-joining the 57th Battalion in the field at Reincourt, France.

Private Harvey was with the 57th Battalion until 27 September 1917, when he was wounded during fighting around Glencoste Wood and Polygone Wood.  He suffered a gunshot wound to his head and wrist, and was initially treated by No 2 Casualty Clearing Station.  He was taken back to the camp at Etaples, and then evacuated to the Military Hospital at Bethall Green, England, on 3 October 1917.

After receiving treatment, he was discharged from Bethnal Green on 8 November 1917, and sent to the 1st Auxiliary Hospital at Tidwell.  He was discharged from there on 13 November 1917, and sent to the Tidworth Base in England.

In March 1918, Leslie Harvey of the 57th Battalion was still at the military base at Tidworth.  He was promoted to Temporary Corporal with the Permanent Cadre of No. 3 Command Depot, and remained with them until the 12 September 1918, when he marched out to the No 1 Com. Depot. This move caused him to revert back to the rank of Private.

Private Harvey's next transfer, on 26 September 1918 was to the Commonwealth Depot at Weymouth, to undergo a course of instruction, to become a motor mechanic.

Armistice Day occurred on 11 November 1918, and as a consequence, Leslie was granted four months leave, without pay or allowances. This spanned the period between 16 November 1918 and 16 February 1919.  After reporting back to the Furlough Office in London, he was granted an extension of leave until 3 March 1919.  When this expired, he failed to report back, and he became subject to a Court Martial.

His Court Martial was held in Warwick Square, London on 22 May 1919, and his charge was that he was absent without leave from 3 March 1919, until he was apprehended by the Military Police on 8 May 1919.  He was found guilty and awarded 40 days in detention. This was later remitted to 7 days.

At the conclusion of his punishment, Leslie was granted leave between 30 May 1919 and his discharge date.

Leslie Raymond Harvey was discharged from the A.I.F. as medically unfit on 14 July 1919.  He nominated his mother’s address at Stamford Hill in London, as his intended residence.

It is not recorded if he ever returned to Australia.

Mr Leslie R A Harvey died at Islington, London in September 1958, aged 66 years.
Medals & Entitlements:
  • British War Medal
  • Victory Medal
  • King’s Certificate of Discharge.
The name of Harvey L from Little River first appeared in the Roll of Honor, Werribee Shire Banner, 27 April 1916, p.1.

Permanent cadre - a key group of officers and enlisted personnel necesary to establish and train a new military unit.


Embarkation - https://www.awm.gov.au/people/rolls/R1923082/
Attestment - http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/
Colour patches - http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/patches/inf-ww1.htm
Census - http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/

Medals and Entitlements

British War Medal
Victory Medal


“Leslie Raymond Harvey (1892-1958),” Wyndham History, accessed October 3, 2023, https://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/1739.


Social Bookmarking