Article Item Type Metadata
Large stables building, rectangular in plan, with corrugated iron wall and roof. The building is timber lined, with intact stalls for horses. There appears to be a loose box at the southern end of the building, and a tackle room at the northern end. The building is located in Dohertys Road, on the southwestern edge of the Truganina Munitions Reserve.
This property was the site last century of John Robinson’s farm, identified in the 1880s as on 160 acres in Crown Allotment 1, Section XXV, Parish of Truganina. By the late 1880s, Margaret Robinson was listed as owner of the farm which from the middle 1890s was owned by Henry Robinson.
The Dohertys Road property is probably most notable within the municipality for its use during the Second World War as the site of a munitions depot and Army stables.
According to one account “impending war had its effect on the Shire. In January 1938 it became known that the Government intended to acquire Henry Robinsons’ property bounded by Doherty’s, Boundary and Palmers Roads for use as a munitions depot, a part of the Government’s plan to improve the position with regard to armaments in Australia”.
For some time the Robinson family had owned Allotments 1, 2 and 3 in Section XXV.
This property has local significance as an example of Government acquisition and use of municipal land during the Second World War period.
Tarneit,” Wyndham History, accessed March 27, 2023, https://wyndhamhistory.net.au/items/show/415.
|This Item||Relation||Item: Henry Robinson house,
|Item: Truganina Munitions Reserve,