Article Item Type Metadata
Greeves homestead was located on the east side of the Werribee River (sometimes referred to as the River Exe), north of the township of Wyndham. This would currently be around the the area of Waterfront Boulevard and Riverrun Drive in Werribee.
Dr George Paul Greeves was born in 1807 and settled on the banks of the Werribee River by 1840. He occupied land covering 12 square miles known as the 'River Exe' or Greeves Station. This run was transferred to James Austin on 16 February 1852. Austin later purchased Section 7 Lots F and G which included the homestead of the River Exe, as a pre-emptive right on the basis of his prior occupancy. (Plan of Crown Allotments Parish of Tarneit).
There were only two early tracks between Melbourne and Geelong and one of these ran through the River Exe Run. At this point in the river there was a timber and stone bridge constructed by the early 1840s. The Golden Fleece Inn was situated on the Greeves Run, This inn was opened in 1838 by R.W. Lyall and was the only stopping place at that time between Melbourne and Geelong. It was also the only reliable water between Kororoit Creek and Little River.
By the 1920s, Section 7 had been subdivided and William McNab, David Thompson and George Painter owned different parts of the property.